Young Eagles Success! Over 1.7 million kids flown as of January 2011
The young eagles program has been developed by the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) to welcome young people into the exciting world of aviation. It is designed to expose young people, ages 8 through 17, to aviation by providing free rides in private aircraft flown by experienced EAA member pilots. Parents are given the chance to meet with their child’s pilot before the flight and to accompany their child onto the ramp while boarding the airplane. All Young Eagle rides are given by FAA licensed private or commercial pilots, in aircraft inspected and certified by the Federal Aviation Administration.
What is EAA and the EAA Aviation Foundation?
The EAA is an international aviation membership association founded in 1953. More than 170,000 people belong to the EAA, with Chapters in all 50 states and many countries. Members are aviation enthusiasts of every age group, including many airline and commercial pilots, engineers, business people, even astronauts. They enjoy all types of airplanes. The Young Eagles Program is sponsored by the EAA Aviation Foundation, a charitable non-profit organization dedicated to the discovery and fulfillment of individual potential through personal flight.
For more information about the Young Eagles Program in general, visit the official web site at: www.youngeagles.com
Thank you for visiting our Young Eagles web page.
If you or your School or organization would like a FREE, (yes FREE), airplane ride, please drop us an Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our Young Eagles Coordinator, Dick Bradshaw 760-788-9082
Guidelines for Young Eagles Flights
All young eagles must provide written permission and be accompanied by their parents or legal guardians to fly. A downloadable application is available at (Click Here). Please bring the filled out and signed form to the airport on the designated Young Eagles flight day.
- Young Eagles Flights are reserved for young people between the ages of 8 and 17 who have not taken a Young Eagles flight within the last year.
- Flights will be given on a first come, first serve basis.
- Exceptions are made for pre-arranged group flights.
- Gillespie Field Young Eagles flights will originate at the Gillespie Field Administration Building located at 1960 Joe Crossen Dr. El Cajon, CA 92020-1236 (Google Maps link here).
- Generally, Young Eagles flights are conducted on the first Saturday of each month from 10:30 AM until 12:30 PM.
- For safety reasons, parents are required to remain with their children until the Young Eagles pilots begin the pre-flight briefings. Parents do not normally accompany the children on the flights.